MGT652: Executing Strategy at the Front Line
- Pinpointing Priorities: A senior leader highlights the importance of achieving top business priorities and introduces the three elements of execution: Focus, Measurement, and Accountability. Using their course prep, learners discuss with a partner their top priorities and how they align with business goals. Leaders complete a brief self-assessment related to the elements of execution. Groups identify challenges related to their assigned portion and share the top two with the larger group.
- Maintaining Focus: Learners look at how they spend their time and determine whether these activities support their top priorities. Facilitator assigns three challenges of keeping focus, and small groups brainstorm solutions to these problems. The Strategy Execution Tool is introduced, and learners identify which of their three priorities they will focus on for the rest of the session.
- Measuring Progress and Outcomes: A video illustrates the relationship between progress and outcome measures. Learners participate in an engaging Cart Sort activity, determining if a measure is progress or outcome measure. In small groups, learners look at their departments and determine the measurements that they use. The Strategy Execution Tool is revisited with learners noting the steps that are used with their chosen priority, and to what degree the priority is on track.
- Ensuring Accountability: In a large group, leaders discuss how they hold their team accountable. Facilitator introduces four best practices, highlighting the importance of consequences and the problem with joint accountability. Learners work in small groups to analyze scenarios and determine how to apply the accountability best practices. After identifying who is accountable for the priority on their Strategy Execution Tool, leaders work with a partner to discuss how to address responsibility and get the measure back on track.
- Putting Elements into Practice: Learners regroup to brainstorm solutions to the challenges that they identified at the beginning of the session. Participants spend time on their Reflections page and define what they want to discuss most with their manager and teams back on the job.
Lopata Hall, Room 511
Enrollment Deadline is May 27, 2024 at 5 PM CST. Beyond this date, please call 314-935-4444 to register.
A request to transfer a class to a future date can only occur if the request is more than 5 business days prior to the start of class. Otherwise, the request will be considered a cancellation and the policy will apply.
Thank you for your interest! Currently, we don't have any additional sessions with availability. However, we're committed to offering ongoing learning opportunities and are working to add more sessions in the future. We appreciate your interest and look forward to the opportunity to support your professional growth soon.
- Maintain focus on important work in the midst of the daily pressure of business
- Explain the importance of critical work to their team and others
- Track progress and outcomes against relevant measures to ensure successful execution
- Communicate accountabilities so that team members understand the importance, impact, and expectations regarding priority work
(The most important thing I learned was... ) "That I need to spend more time on my own priorities. I'm spending too much time on non-priority work." MGT652: Executing Strategy at the Front Line