This course assumes many topics outlined in the DATA 99 class have been addressed. This class focuses upon a number of technology and organizational matters that should be addressed to develop an effective analytics program. This class helps you answer the following questions: Has an analytics team been defined? Have team roles been determined? Has a process been defined to identify an appropriate analytics tool? Should you build or buy a technology platform, versus using cloud based providers? Has the data and data source needed for the analysis been identified? Has the data been normalized? These are just a few of the questions and considerations that should be addressed to effectively apply Big Data/Analytics to your organization.
- Organizing for Big Data/Analytics
- Skills/SME’s needed to be members of the Team
- Defining the outcome of the analytics effort
- Understanding respective roles
- Establishing accountability for management of the program/project
- Data, Data, Data
- Identifying the sources and structure of data to be analyzed
- Data types explained: Internal, external, structured, unstructured, data coming from a third party of a social media feed
- Validating and normalizing data to ensure analytics techniques employed are valid and there is consistency in meaning
- Working with SME’s and Data Scientists
- Analytic Techniques / Algorithms
- Overview of the various analytic techniques and understanding their pros and cons
- Selection of the appropriate technique(s)
- Analytics Platforms & Tools
- Build vs Buy
- Overview of more popular tools i.e. Hadoop, NoSQL, Tableau, R
- Interpretation and Validation of Analytic Results
- Other topics demanding consideration
- Data Owner
- Retention and storage
- Gain insight to develop an implementation plan for Big Data/Analytic program.
- Understanding of the key consideration and actions needed to create an effective analytics Team and Program.
- Be able to identify the key members of an analytics team and the respective roles and responsibilities.
- Understand the factors to consider in a make versus buy decision for analytics tools and platforms.
- Gain a deeper understanding of data sources, as well as the importance data management and governance.
- Increase understanding of the various tools available and how to develop a process to select the appropriate tool for the project.
- Understanding of how to interpret and evaluate analytic outputs.
- Improved understanding of the privacy and security issues that should be addressed as part of the analytics program.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Big Data Analytics : Required