This course provides a comprehensive review of the Project Management Professional (PMP®) certification process and can be used to help prepare to take either the PMP® or CAPM® certification examinations. The Project Management Institute (PMI®) has grown to be recognized as the global association for project management standards. PMI's Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK®) has received recognition from the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) as the standard document for project management knowledge. PMI's project management certification (PMP®) has grown in popularity with over 700,000 certified professionals worldwide. The PMP® certification process emphasizes the process framework involved in providing successful project management. Whether pursuing a PMP® certification or not, knowledge of PMI's process framework for project management provides an essential perspective on project management in the twenty-first century. This course will provide a comprehensive overview of the PMP® certification processes and knowledge areas contained in the PMBOK® 6th Edition.
- Project management introduction
- Project management practices and their distinctiveness in business management
- The value, benefits & advantages of implementing project management practices
- Project management certification for professionals
- The Project Management Institute’s (PMI®) Project Management Professional certification (PMP®)
- PMP® certification
- Requirements for certification
- Certification registration and examination process
- Study and preparation plan development
- Project management overview and context
- Project management knowledge areas
- Project integration management
- Project scope management
- Project schedule management
- Project cost management
- Project quality management
- Project resource management
- Project communications management
- Project risk management
- Project procurement management
- Project stakeholder management
- Project management process groups
- Initiating process group
- Planning process group
- Executing process group
- Monitoring & Controlling process group
- Closing process group
- Project management process dependencies and flow
- PMP® examination and preparation
- Several practice/sample multiple choice examinations
The latest version of the PMBOK® (6th Edition) incorporates Agile in all 10 knowledge areas listed above. Each knowledge area contains sections titled "Approaches for Agile, Iterative and Adaptive Environments" which describes how these integrate in project settings.
- Understand the value of project management, organizational project management maturity, and the PMP® certification process
- Develop and enhance a study plan for registering and preparing to take PMP® examination
- Know an overview of what a PMP® certified project manager must know how to apply
- Know the ten knowledge areas of PMI's Guide to the PMBOK® 6th Edition
- Know the five process groups of processes for project management
- Understand the 49 key processes of project management and how they relate
Audience: This course is designed for project managers, supervisors, and team members
Text Books & Materials: Project Management Professional (PMP) Training for PMBOK® Guide--Sixth Edition, 2018.
The certification exam voucher can be purchased on the PMI website. You have the option to purchase as a PMI member or non-member. By purchasing a PMI membership, you will have access to many benefits including a discount on your certification exam fee. Click here for PMI membership details.
Learn about more project management topics here
PrerequisitesThere are no prerequisites for this course. There are prerequisites for taking the PMP examination (the requirements are discussed in the course): 35 hours of project management training (this course fulfills this requirement); 4500 hours (7500 hours if no bachelor’s degree) of experience leading and directing project work spanning 36 (60) months over the previous 8 years; and sign a credential agreement which includes a code of ethics and professional conduct. Additional requirements may be necessary. Visit the PMP page via the Project Management Institute for more information.
"I'm not sure how anyone would pass the test without the material that was covered in this class as well as prep for what might be on the test."
Fall 2018 Participant
"I passed 1st try above target in all categories."
Fall 2018 Participant
"I recommend this training because it identifies methods to execute projects to successful completion. The most important thing I learned was: Sponsor, Charter, Stakeholder, Portfolio, and Closure: The formal process of a project. I enjoyed Prof Lomax's delivery of the information. Thank you to him. He was available after class for questions--even helping me on a small business to identify risks"
Fall 2017 Participant
- Project Management Institute (PMI) 35.0 PDU