This foundational workshop focuses on the importance of managing personal impact and interactions with others in the course of getting work done effectively and efficiently. Participants will increase their understanding of their work style and its impact on others, and how to increase style flexibility when working with others. High-value communication tools such as I-statements, active listening, communication and perception filtering, and the effective use of social media and branding will be introduced and practiced in a variety of work-related technical settings.
- Introduction: Why interpersonal communication skills are important for technical professionals
- Everything DiSC® Workplace self-assessment report (participants respond to the assessment prior to class)
- Video demonstrations of I-statements, active listening, and feedback looping
- Practice using the above skills in typical situations encountered by technical professionals and managers
- Written vs verbal communication: how they are different, why it matters
- Communication filters: demonstration of how different perceptions, misunderstandings, and barriers can impact personal effectiveness
- Practice responding to typical situations where personal effectiveness is critical
- Action planning to apply new skills and knowledge on the job
- Identify their work behavior style using the DiSC system
- Effectively work with others whose styles may be different from theirs
- Plan communication and discussions ahead of time
- Use interpersonal communication tools such as I-statements and active listening
- Increase their understanding of how perception can impact communication and outcomes
- Use your understanding of perceptions and nonverbal communication to better understand and interpret what the people you work with are communicating to you.
Audience: Technical professionals who must work and communicate clearly with others in the course of their career will learn how to increase their effectiveness with teams, in meetings, and in individual discussions with managers, peers, vendors, and customers.
PrerequisitesThere are no prerequisites for the course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Communication Certificate : Communication Certification